Who's running things

The Sideshow
Posted in: Film, Television & Literature

Reply
  • User avatar
Maybe it's just me but I've gotten incredibly annoyed with how quickly televisions shows are axed, how shows who have so far run their course are continued to be kept on, and most movies are just crap now. (Wow, I just realized I sound like an old lady) Until someone is including my viewing in the ratings measure it's just crap to me. Picking someone within a ten year range of my age, having my gender, and ethnicity and saying we watch the same things is ridiculous. Networks need a little reminder of how awful Friends and Seinfeld did their first season. Had NBC not replayed Friends over the Summer, because they had nothing else, that show had been slated to be cancelled. There's a huge disconnect between the businessmen, the creators, and the viewers. Maybe I'm no longer young and hip but I don't understand paying underage girls who are knocked-up disasters to entertain people when there are so many good writers.

Which then brings me to NBC showing it's stellar character once again by getting rid of the creator of Community, because really why keep the creator of a successful show- http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/233392 ... s-anything
http://www.eonline.com/news/dan_harmon_ ... ger/317605


dinkycow wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I've gotten incredibly annoyed with how quickly televisions shows are axed, how shows who have so far run their course are continued to be kept on, and most movies are just crap now. (Wow, I just realized I sound like an old lady) Until someone is including my viewing in the ratings measure it's just crap to me. Picking someone within a ten year range of my age, having my gender, and ethnicity and saying we watch the same things is ridiculous. Networks need a little reminder of how awful Friends and Seinfeld did their first season. Had NBC not replayed Friends over the Summer, because they had nothing else, that show had been slated to be cancelled. There's a huge disconnect between the businessmen, the creators, and the viewers. Maybe I'm no longer young and hip but I don't understand paying underage girls who are knocked-up disasters to entertain people when there are so many good writers.

Which then brings me to NBC showing it's stellar character once again by getting rid of the creator of Community, because really why keep the creator of a successful show- http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/233392 ... s-anything
http://www.eonline.com/news/dan_harmon_ ... ger/317605


THANK YOU !!!!


I too am tired of flipping through and seeing trashy people making rediculous amounts of money by behaving horribly. What a lovely example for the up and coming youth. Act horrible and get paid. Nice.There are a lot of people doing great things out there that don't get near the money these people do. Yea I sound old too, but I wish there would be some kind of morel line any where . Oh yea it's feedom of speech, we have the right to let the whole world see our trash. It's sad when it becomes the norm to see what we see on tv. The shock value is only going to try to get worse.


  • User avatar
  • 3328 posts
  • from The Emerald City
  • profile
i don't wanna talk about it lol

(butt-hurt about awake being canceled)


pandabandit12 wrote:
i don't wanna talk about it lol

(butt-hurt about awake being canceled)


:( it was cancelled?


  • User avatar
  • 3328 posts
  • from The Emerald City
  • profile
dimply_gecko wrote:
pandabandit12 wrote:
i don't wanna talk about it lol

(butt-hurt about awake being canceled)


:( it was cancelled?

sorry to break it to you, but yea...it's true


  • User avatar
I only liked 3 new shows- GCB, BestFriends Forever, Awake. All cancelled before 6 episodes. Based on the campaigns of angry fans I can't imagine the ratings were bad (although it seems GCB had a campaign started by angry Christians against it). Than again Arrested Development was never supported by the network even with its fan base & critics loving it. Same with My Name is Earl which got cancelled after the season finale cliff hanger episode. The show had such a big following TBS tried to bring it back so how exactly do these shows not have ratings?

I hate complaining about stuff without actually being able to do something but even if I went on strike from watching the networks my viewing doesn't count. At least USA doesn't cancel their shows.


  • User avatar
  • 3328 posts
  • from The Emerald City
  • profile
awake still averaged something like 2.5 million viewers, i'd be over the fuckin moon if 2.5 million people watched my show every week.

it seems like they need to reel back their standards for what makes a successful show these days...


goddamitall!

awake cancelled and community shafted?


  • User avatar
NBC also moved Community to 8:30 on Fridays which is what they do when they're trying to get rid of a show. The age demographic for that show will most likely not be home on Friday nights, they also won't make a huge deal letting viewers know the new day/time so the ratings will drop and they'll say, well it's not our fault the ratings are low we have to cancel. They should have said, after season 3, that season 4 was going to be the last. That way the writers and creator could write an amazing last season and Nielson ratings could have fake estimated high ratings since all the fans would be making sure to catch every episode. But leaving the show in limbo for a year, firing the creator without telling him and replacing him with another shows creator for its last season where it's going to die and bomb on a Friday night sounds like a better plan that respects fans and all the people working their ass off on the show.

But good news Two and a Half Men is renewed :lol:


  • User avatar
  • 2763 posts
  • from Boston Suburps....burp.
  • profile
It is all very infuriating. Fox is notorious for pulling popular shows and pissing off fans.
At least Fringe gets half a season next year to wrap up...I'm sure they will give Gordon Ramsay another show in it's time slot.


  • User avatar
  • 2486 posts
  • from San Francisco
  • profile
Money is running things, Reality shows are cheaper and easier to do....


  • User avatar
Floyd44 wrote:
It is all very infuriating. Fox is notorious for pulling popular shows and pissing off fans.
At least Fringe gets half a season next year to wrap up...I'm sure they will give Gordon Ramsay another show in it's time slot.


They're the brilliant network who cancelled Family Guy after the 3rd season then realized the amount of money coming in from DVD sales and decided maybe they'd give the show a chance.


  • User avatar
  • 932 posts
  • from West Chicago, IL
  • profile
I don't understand pulling Community. I've never seen the show, but I've heard the majority of the people I know rave about it.

On another note, I will forever mourn Freaks & Geeks.



The Sideshow
Posted in: Film, Television & Literature

Reply

Topic tools: ← Previous topicNext topic →


remember me?

Time : 0.063s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off