KICKSTARTER: The Death of "Superman Lives" what happened?

The Sideshow
Posted in: Film, Television & Literature

Reply
  • User avatar
  • 444 posts
  • from New Mexico
  • Mod
  • profile
Image

Here it is... Remember this!

Three names! - Jon Schnepp, Tim Burton and Superman!!!

Every now and then a project comes along that gets my blood racing, and butterflies fluttering (the type you used to have as a kid on the last day of school before an entire Summer off or after waiting in line for hours right before a giant blockbuster Summer movie opened.) Here's the project: A documentary on what could possibly be the greatest 'cult' super hero film that never was… Tim Burton's "Superman Lives". That's right, the same one that featured Nicolas Cage as Superman. Remember? There was gossip, posters, development art -- what happened to that film?

So here is the kicker and what settled it for me -- Director, Producer, Artist, designer Jon Schnepp -- you know him from Adult Swim's Metalocalypse, Aqua Unit Patrol Squad 1, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, The Venture Brothers and more, has decided to open the doors and create an expose and foray on the film that went far further than just talking and actually into pre-production art, effects design, and costuming. The crew developing and creating all the way to the day of shooting and the film was shut down permanently. Nothing was heard again... the film was no more.

Enough of my pie hole flappin' - Jon has put together a nice video, explaining his whole approach and process to this documentary and I believe will prove to be a very exciting journey into not only the process of film development, but also the inside scoop on what really happened - why the death of "Superman Lives" from artists, producers, and production designers that worked directly on the film... possibly all the way up to the man himself, Tim Burton.

Kathie and I just helped contribute to this Kickstarter project - and if you are into the subject matter as much as us, please help back this killer project and help Jon bring this to light! Help artists create, create projects that push creation and document, and help create with all of us.

Here is the link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1270411036/the-death-of-superman-lives-what-happened


  • User avatar
That looks so weird and cool. I'd watch that documentary, thinking I'll pledge for the digital download version when I can :) Thanks for sharing!


  • User avatar
  • 286 posts
  • from Ye Olde Brooklyn
  • profile
TashaLlama wrote:
That looks so weird and cool. I'd watch that documentary, thinking I'll pledge for the digital download version when I can :) Thanks for sharing!

Agreed! Tim Burton's take on Superman would have been intriguing. But Nicolas Cage as Superman? Really? No wonder he named his kid Kal-El.

Image

The costume is pretty sweet though.


Wow, never knew about this. Thank you sir!


  • User avatar
  • 444 posts
  • from New Mexico
  • Mod
  • profile
Agreed on some counts, but after seeing him in Kick-Ass, I have a whole new take on him... Also this is less Nicolas Cage and more Burton and the concept behind the film. Not sure if this is the case, but my first take with him being so thin is that Superman has a Superpower -- he doesn't need to be ripped and fit --- brilliant idea and more interesting.

I guess we will find out why it was canned, but I am guessing it was becoming too original for some... We need to find out the reason why it was shut down!

SamuelDG wrote:
TashaLlama wrote:
That looks so weird and cool. I'd watch that documentary, thinking I'll pledge for the digital download version when I can :) Thanks for sharing!

Agreed! Tim Burton's take on Superman would have been intriguing. But Nicolas Cage as Superman? Really? No wonder he named his kid Kal-El.

Image

The costume is pretty sweet though.


  • User avatar
Superman has never appealed to me. Even when I was a little kid I couldn't get passed the absurdity that no one recognizes him because of a pair of glasses. However, the documentary I want to see. Specially since Cage supposedly has an obsession with not only Elvis but Superman. I don't know if the movie would have been any good- Cage is a hit or miss with me - but I would have wanted to see Burton's take on Superman. Either way the documentary sounds really interesting and I'd love to see that get made.


  • User avatar
  • 363 posts
  • from Bay Area, California
  • profile
skinny Nic Cage as Superman by Tim Burton? definitely want to find out what happened to that potential gem


  • User avatar
Kevin Smith (who apparently wrote a script before Burton got involved) did a lengthy bit about this movie on one of his "evening with kevin smith" dvd's (I think it was the first one).

I think this youtube clip is the one I'm thinking of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk

"At this point it's all just lines..." -A. Horkey

  • User avatar
I didn't see Kickass, but I should, because I'm so not a Nicholas Cage fan :p But I definitely agree with the Kickstarter documentary suggestion that Superman Lives would have been cult classic material.


  • User avatar
  • 932 posts
  • from West Chicago, IL
  • profile
dinkycow wrote:
Superman has never appealed to me. Even when I was a little kid I couldn't get passed the absurdity that no one recognizes him because of a pair of glasses. However, the documentary I want to see. Specially since Cage supposedly has an obsession with not only Elvis but Superman. I don't know if the movie would have been any good- Cage is a hit or miss with me - but I would have wanted to see Burton's take on Superman. Either way the documentary sounds really interesting and I'd love to see that get made.



Agreed, never been a big Superman fan, but Burton's concept does sound cool!


  • User avatar

  • User avatar
dinkycow wrote:


Neat interview! Thanks for sharing :)

I goofed and forgot for like a week that Kickstarter doesn't charge until the campaign completes successfully, haha. So, pledged! ^^ I hope they get what they need to make the film.


and funded
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/127 ... t-happened

That weapon will replace your tongue. You will learn to speak through it. And your poetry will now be written with blood.

  • User avatar
  • 581 posts
  • from Oakland Hills CA
  • profile
I remember Kevin Smith talking about this like "This dudes kid did a report on spiders and now he wants the climactic battle to be w/ a huge frikken spider!!!" "WTF!?!" then they went on to make "Wild Wild West" and at the end, sure enough "A climactic battle w/ a huge frikken spider!!!" "That's how Hollywood works, it's fueled by kid's book reports!!!" Hahahahaha.

I didn't realize that it was an exercise in weirdness for weirdness sake. What a fantastic cult movie this would have made. Reminds me of Ted Mckeever's wonderful take on Superman. I guess the reason that worked so well for me is they set the context of it as - this is an "else-worlds" story. Suspend disbelieve and continuity and enjoy the fuckedupedness.

"Lee LOVES the anus." - ingrownmayo

  • 218 posts
  • from San Francisco, Bay Area
  • profile
[quote="brandtpeters"]Agreed on some counts, but after seeing him in Kick-Ass, I have a whole new take on him... Also this is less Nicolas Cage and more Burton and the concept behind the film. Not sure if this is the case, but my first take with him being so thin is that Superman has a Superpower -- he doesn't need to be ripped and fit --- brilliant idea and more interesting.

I guess we will find out why it was canned, but I am guessing it was becoming too original for some... We need to find out the reason why it was shut down!

Well thank you very much for this take. LOL, my whole life thinking of Superman as this big muscular figure and you say he doesn't need to be ripped and fit because he has super powers.--Brilliant. Changes the whole game. And yes, I think an average crazy looking person would be a perfect Superman. This sounds like it would have been a great film. Almost, maybe, a cult film.



The Sideshow
Posted in: Film, Television & Literature

Reply

Topic tools: ← Previous topicNext topic →

cron
remember me?

Time : 0.108s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off