Ghost Lab

The Sideshow
Posted in: Crypto-mysteries

• 780 posts
  • from God's waiting room
  • Mod
So, on tomorrow night's (Nov. 3rd) Ghost Lab show on the Discovery Channel, they'll be investigating the nightclub in Chicago that I worked at for almost 9 years. Should be an interesting show.... at least for me.

Anybody else watch this show...?

is this a repeat? we saw something on that club a few months back-- I remember talking about that being your club.
Maybe it was a different ghost show

You worked at the Metro?

• 780 posts
  • Mod
Miskat wrote:
is this a repeat? we saw something on that club a few months back-- I remember talking about that being your club.
Maybe it was a different ghost show

I'm 99.9% sure this is a new episode. I saw one a few weeks ago where they were at a different rock club down south, and I'm watching "A Haunting" right now, where they're at the Lake Club in Illinois.

• 780 posts
  • Mod
ghost&flower wrote:
You worked at the Metro?

Yep. For almost 9 years during the late 80's and mid 90's.

Hung out there since around '83.

...and? see anything interesting??

• 780 posts
  • Mod
Miskat wrote:
...and? see anything interesting??

Yeah, I saw a ton of interesting stuff. So much so, that I could write a book.

Unfortunately for this thread, the majority of it was brought on by "spirits" of another kind.

its a new episode. or at least they keep saying it is.

• 780 posts
  • Mod
OK, so I watched the Ghost Lab show about the Metro.

Except for down in the boiler room, I've spent PLENTY of extended periods of time in all the areas of the club where the Ghost Lab crew took readings. I rode that elevator tons of times, ( yes, it was a super creepy elevator ) spent time in the 4th floor auditorium, etc.... My wife worked at the club for a few years too and I know everybody that they interviewed and showed on the show.

Aside from some normal creepy feelings one might have with being in a HUGE building ( or any building or house) late at night with the lights off, doing perimeter sweeps or whatever, I never really felt anything along the lines of which those two investigators felt. As far as I know, my wife didn't either.

I worked there 3-6 nights a week for almost 9 years and didn't have anything paranormal happen to me. Those guys were there, what, maybe a day or two, and they experienced a TON of stuff.

If I was possibly looking for it, I wonder if I would and could have experienced more...?

I honestly think a person needs to be born being "tuned in" to that sort of stuff to experience it. Having a sort of second sense or radar to the world of the paranormal. In my opinion, some folks are moreso than others.

I don't think it's a "hey I want to see ghosts too" thing either. I think it would be interesting to see a ghost or apparition, and I've been very open to it. I have been ever since I was a kid. But, I never have experienced one to my knowledge.

The closest I have been to some sort of paranormal experience was when I lived in Phoenix. The apartment complex we lived at was near an Native American Indian reservation. I had some of the most violent and bloody / creepy / death filled dreams I have ever had in my entire life when we lived there. The kind of creepy dreams that i've read about like the family members had in the book documenting the Amityville horror, etc...

I mentioned my violent dreams once in passing to a bud of mine that lived near there too. He mentioned that he'd been having violent dreams since moving to town too. Kinda creeped both of us out. Then we just dismissed it and went on with our lives.

Sometimes I wondered if the whole area we lived on was some sort of mass grave or some sort of Native American slaughter happened there, etc.... Never found anything out about it though.

The dreams stopped when we moved back to Illinois.

robschwager wrote:

I worked there 3-6 nights a week for almost 9 years and didn't have anything paranormal happen to me. Those guys were there, what, maybe a day or two, and they experienced a TON of stuff.

If I was possibly looking for it, I wonder if I would and could have experienced more...?

Maybe you weren't ready/ open for that then-- it would be interesting for you to go back next time your in Chicago.

robschwager wrote:

I don't think it's a "hey I want to see ghosts too" thing either. I think it would be interesting to see a ghost or apparition, and I've been very open to it. I have been ever since I was a kid. But, I never have experienced one to my knowledge.

there's nothing wrong with being curious and you being a spiritual person, it's perfectly natural that you would want to experience things on many different levels. there's also a bit of hollywood that messes things up on what we try to look for-- people tend to look for perfect see-thru versions of "people" or a floating white sheet. You also have to keep in mind that it was a bar, so it will attract a lot of negative energy- not necessarily "dead" spirits.

robschwager wrote:

The closest I have been to some sort of paranormal experience was when I lived in Phoenix. The apartment complex we lived at was near an Native American Indian reservation. I had some of the most violent and bloody / creepy / death filled dreams I have ever had in my entire life when we lived there. The kind of creepy dreams that i've read about like the family members had in the book documenting the Amityville horror, etc...

I mentioned my violent dreams once in passing to a bud of mine that lived near there too. He mentioned that he'd been having violent dreams since moving to town too. Kinda creeped both of us out. Then we just dismissed it and went on with our lives.

Sometimes I wondered if the whole area we lived on was some sort of mass grave or some sort of Native American slaughter happened there, etc.... Never found anything out about it though.

that's really interesting-- we have the most amazing documentary called "how the west was lost"-- it's a series about, well, native american genocide-- not sure how else to really say it. It's quite shocking and brutal but seriously worth watching if you'd like to borrow it. American history has done a good job of downplaying what happened and I wouldn't doubt for a second that there is a lot of very negative/ traumatic energy in some of those spots that will probably always be there.
Did you feel more sympathic to native americans after having experienced that?
Btw, it's a Ken Burns/ PBS documentary if that helps...

If you are a reader, read "1491" about what the Western Hemisphere was like before Europeans got here and some of the sometimes inadvertent genocide committed - like when a Conquistador traveled through the densely packed Arkansas River basin - often having to stay on the river for days because of being unable to find a friendly place to stop. Village after village. When they did stop, they unloaded their pigs - which they brought along for food. And which carried deadly European diseases. When the next Europeans came through 40-50 years later, the villages were filled with bodies. Everyone was dead of disease. The missionaries would travel for days without finding a living native. And not a shot was fired.

Many Native American tribes had a tradition of holding vigil next to ill relations. So someone would get sick, they'd send out a call to neighboring villages to friends and family who would then hold a vigil next to the sick person - picking up the disease and incubating it then carrying it back to their village to repeat the process. Many regions of the Pacific Northwest were depopulated before the first Europeans even visited because of the diseases sweeping across the continent.

New calculations suggest that in 1491, one in five humans on the earth lived in the Western Hemisphere. And by 1600, the native populations were dramatically reduced. It's quite a shocking book.

• 780 posts
  • Mod
Miskat wrote:
robschwager wrote:

Maybe you weren't ready/ open for that then-- it would be interesting for you to go back next time your in Chicago.

robschwager wrote:

there's nothing wrong with being curious and you being a spiritual person, it's perfectly natural that you would want to experience things on many different levels. there's also a bit of hollywood that messes things up on what we try to look for-- people tend to look for perfect see-thru versions of "people" or a floating white sheet. You also have to keep in mind that it was a bar, so it will attract a lot of negative energy- not necessarily "dead" spirits.

Absolutely true. Although I was open for it back then, I was just not really looking for it. Hollywood version or not. Like I said, ever since I was a kid, I've always been interested in the paranormal. Right down the block from the Metro is a HUGE old uber creepy graveyard that we used to hang out in and down the block the other way was where the St. Valentine's Day Massacre took place.

So, that small strip of Clark St. should be a virtual paranormal smorgasbord, if one was "tuned into" it. I just don't think I'm one of those types of people who have that gift, so...

Besides, I probably wouldn't have full access to the Metro building like I used to back in the day.

Miskat wrote:
robschwager wrote:

that's really interesting-- we have the most amazing documentary called "how the west was lost"-- it's a series about, well, native american genocide-- not sure how else to really say it. It's quite shocking and brutal but seriously worth watching if you'd like to borrow it. American history has done a good job of downplaying what happened and I wouldn't doubt for a second that there is a lot of very negative/ traumatic energy in some of those spots that will probably always be there.
Did you feel more sympathic to native americans after having experienced that?
Btw, it's a Ken Burns/ PBS documentary if that helps...

Well, after I found out the "truth" and not the crap we were spoonfed in grade school regarding the Native American plight, I have been sympathetic. Primarily from the standpoint that my immediate family was forced out of their homes in Europe at gunpoint during WWII. Although they were part of Yugoslavia's first communist ethnic cleansing, thankfully they personally weren't butchered like the Indians were. That's the closest that I can come in any sort of personal empathy for the Native American genocide. (Aside from basic human compassion for another human being, of course.)

I'd love to see that documentary though, because the dreams I had were horrific.

I like Ghost Lab! I didn't miss any show! post will tell you about genocide and why we should remember about this!

The Sideshow
Posted in: Crypto-mysteries

Topic tools: ← Previous topicNext topic →

remember me?

Time : 0.106s | 15 Queries | GZIP : Off