Valentines day!!!

1, 2, 3, 4  

The Sideshow
Posted in: Off Topic

I thought I should start off saying I'm a male. So that being said I wanted to know how many people celebrate this holiday, because to be honest I have never been one to like to make a big deal. It must have been a lack of valentines card when I was a kid that made me so bitter but now that I'm older and have a girlfriend I feel obligated to do something special. So any suggestions?

• 757 posts
  • from San Diego/Los Angeles
Get her some cheezitz and a flower. hahaha.

Paint her a pretty picture :D

• 2585 posts
  • from Flagstaff, AZ - no it's not like Phoenix
Cook her a nice dinner. That always surprises the hell out of them, at least in my dating days.

I did that on the second date for my wife. We started to live together that night. Been together 21 years.

Ron

notso wrote:
I thought I should start off saying I'm a male. So that being said I wanted to know how many people celebrate this holiday, because to be honest I have never been one to like to make a big deal. It must have been a lack of valentines card when I was a kid that made me so bitter but now that I'm older and have a girlfriend I feel obligated to do something special. So any suggestions?

Toy Collection and other crap on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/thotfulspot/

• 1095 posts
  • from Portsmouth UK
You know,in all my 38 years I've never had a valentines card.I mean I've had them from girlfriends but not an anonymous or unexpected one.It makes me cry every year....just thought I'd share that.

mrdave wrote:
You know,in all my 38 years I've never had a valentines card.I mean I've had them from girlfriends but not an anonymous or unexpected one.It makes me cry every year....just thought I'd share that.

Ahhh, well I only got a rose once but it was from one of my best friends and he had send one to all the girls from our friend group. So that wasn't very spectaculair either :lol: . Then again, I'm half your age so maybe there's hope haha.

And cooking dinner is a great idea! Make it romantic with candles, bake some cupcakes and decorate them, give her a massage afterwards, I'm sure she'll appreciate that ^^.

I am a girl. I hope that is apparent from my avatar
<------

My husband and I started dating in January, so I kindly informed him that Valentine's day held no sway for me and that I would actually prefer that he not do the presents and chocolates thing. It seems insincere to me. I also let him know, that what I just told him wasn't a "trick" or a "test" and I would not ream him a new one if he actually heeded my words and didn't get me anything.

That being said, if your girl seems inclined to enjoy the holiday, I say look at it as another opportunity to get her something thoughtful and fun, just like her birthday or christmas. (Of course this statement comes from someone who loves giving presents and loves any excuse to do so.)

Front-of-mind suggestion--CUPCAKES!!! My husband once had a dozen Sprinkles cupcakes delivered to my work for my birthday. I got to share my haul like I was in 2nd grade again, and everyone paid a lot more attention to me on my special day. If you don't have fancy cupcake stores around you, then buy some Betty Croker, a tub of icing, and some sprinkles and make your own. The more they look like a 5-year-old made them, the more endearing they will be to her :)

Hope's Mother wrote:
I'm glad you found stuff that you love, but I guess this stuff doesn't appeal to me. I don't get it, but I appreciate that you have your own unique taste.

mrdave wrote:

Do something for her that she would love to do, forget the forced model of how to celebrate valentine's day. It's about love- friends, family, romantic, candy and baked goods. Have fun.

notso wrote:

Do as my Hubby has done... He was honest and said that he thought Valentines day was stupid because if you love someone everyday is Valentines day. I agree. It means more if you do something special on any day but Valentines day. Because then you do it because you want to and not because you feel obligated because it is Valentines day.
And it works... we are married 10 years and still happy with each other :)

• 1095 posts
  • from Portsmouth UK
dinkycow wrote:
mrdave wrote:

Do something for her that she would love to do, forget the forced model of how to celebrate valentine's day. It's about love- friends, family, romantic, candy and baked goods. Have fun.

I'll get her a few bottles of wine,a kebab & f.uck off out then.

• 1095 posts
  • from Portsmouth UK
LadyMadeline wrote:
Then again, I'm half your age so maybe there's hope haha.

Oh,that hurt. *sniff*

• 1043 posts
  • from Los Angeles
I've made awesome plans! We're going to pick up sushi and sit on the couch with our cat and watch Mulan. :)

• 2585 posts
  • from Flagstaff, AZ - no it's not like Phoenix
Damn kids. I'll shake my cane at you.

Toy Collection and other crap on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/thotfulspot/

• 3058 posts
  • from van down by the river
Okay here are some of the things I have "done" in the past.

One year I made her (my wife) a card. Just white paper folded in half with as many suger packets I could glue to it. Inside read you are as sweet as suger. I am sure everyone has done that before.

Another time I made a memory box of the "fun" things we did. Stuff like a little hockey puck from one of our first dates, yes we went to a hockey game. A little golf ball from all the putt-putt we played. A little flower-you get the idea.

Another time I made arrangments to have flowers and her gift waiting for us at the resturant so of course every guy in the place hated me.

Hope this helps.

Miskat wrote:
I have a "list" and now they're on it

brandtpeters wrote:
I think this whole thing happened just to hear i love plastic say... You FAIL wooden Jesus.

Miskat wrote:
damn, why are you such an asshat, Matthew

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckley78/

• 1718 posts
  • from A Brit in Seattle
When I was 13 or 14 I used a valentines card to dump the girl I'd been 'going out' with for a couple of months. Her family had recently moved, so I would have to get two buses if I wanted to see her (which I seem to remember telling her in the card).

Apparently her dad wasn't very happy about upsetting her & spoke to my mom (who reminds me about it every year).

Not very romantic, but certainly memorable. :mrgreen:

(you could use that idea if you like... Maybe preparing a follow up card with word 'Psych!!' written in it; in case of anger/tears etc...)

Well we've been a good few hours drinking
So I'm going to say what everyone's thinking
If we're stuck on this ship and it's sinking
Then we might as well have a parade

• 5057 posts
  • from Canada eh?
hopeewon wrote:
My husband and I started dating in January, so I kindly informed him that Valentine's day held no sway for me and that I would actually prefer that he not do the presents and chocolates thing. It seems insincere to me. I also let him know, that what I just told him wasn't a "trick" or a "test" and I would not ream him a new one if he actually heeded my words and didn't get me anything.

I like you.

Miss_Oneyes wrote:
Do as my Hubby has done... He was honest and said that he thought Valentines day was stupid because if you love someone everyday is Valentines day. I agree. It means more if you do something special on any day but Valentines day. Because then you do it because you want to and not because you feel obligated because it is Valentines day.
And it works... we are married 10 years and still happy with each other :)

I totally agree. Doing something special because it's Valentine's Day to me seems forced and meaningless. Doing something special out of the blue to show you care would mean way more to me than on a Hallmark holiday.

I also think this "holiday" is evil for those who take the day seriously and do not have a partner to share it with. It just makes them feel bad.

brandtpeters wrote:
for the record Yerflap -- if someone is going to be hard as steel about opinions it's you -- I can count on it like I can count on a brain freeze after downing a slurpee to fast...

1, 2, 3, 4  

The Sideshow
Posted in: Off Topic

Topic tools: ← Previous topicNext topic →

remember me?

Time : 0.654s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off