Explain to me...

The Sideshow
Posted in: Off Topic

• 178 posts
  • from Albuquerque NM
Why i should get a facebook page... i have fought it tooth and nail and lived on message boards for awhile now... i got a google+ and no one even uses though so i think that just deterred me even more... so sell me on it if you dare

Living Behind the Counter at STRANGER FACTORY!!!

If you feel like you have too much disposable time on your hands, and want to fill it looking at pictures of peoples' kids, food, and pets, or hear constant discourses about how annoyed they are at trivial things, it's perfect :lol:

I mostly have it so I can admin my artist fan page. I scroll through my personal page once a day or so. You're not missing much.

Don't do it! I did, and I hate myself for it...

Oh, how I do love a good taco...

• 178 posts
  • from Albuquerque NM
so im not getting good things from this lol

• 178 posts
  • from Albuquerque NM
my initial first sign of giving in was when KO & BP asked me to post an SF event on the Facebook page one night at work and i had no clue how to direct my way through it... made me feel old.. like when the elderly play ps3 lol

I put off Facebook, cell phones, and even MP3 players until very recent years.
Facebook is a reflection of what you want it to be; for lots of people, it's a fakey way to feel popular/like people care/platform to complain about life/ way to waste time looking at funny pictures.

And for me, for the first year or two, that's what it was; having 27 friends on it who I barely interacted with. But then I started work with an artist studio company, where lots of work/exhibition/creative/client&friend interaction happened online. Facebook and Social Media allowed me to connect with people who were related to and involved in the work I was doing, let me keep in touch with people I met traveling/working, and introduced me to large interconnected communities of creative people, artists, businesses, etc. It opened doors to things I was interested in (following people's art practice, businesses product releases, promotions&contests), and continually presents new artists/businesses I become interested in and want to connect to. And sometimes, the connection is mutual, and people/creative professionals interact back to me. It was pretty cool the first time my favorite band directly responded to my messages, and took an interest in what I was doing.

Facebook is also a useful business and marketing platform. After almost a year growing my activity on Facebook, I launched an online fundraiser to fund a small creative project of mine, and decided to conduct part of it on Facebook. Half my contributors came from people I interacted with on Facebook, which was surprising and gratifying.

It's really just like anything else; you'll get out what you put in, and if you want to build something useful in some way you can. It's not for everyone- I've got friends that couldn't care less about Social Media, and it's completely valid. It can be a huge waste of time and energy, not productive, and negatively impact relationships. Or, it can be really beneficial if you know what you want to get out of it. I take it with a grain of salt, because as much as I recognize some benefits, I'm also highly aware that it's not a substite for real relationships or real work, and carries negative stigma for people that invest too much in it.

• 2453 posts
  • from San Francisco
Facebook to me is a selling and promoting tool. I do have 2 accounts. One for promoting and one for personal. I have connected with relatives i never knew i had. I dont use it much but it is another tool in my tool box.

I use Facebook to post quite non-informative things when I'm bored, to check out pages of artists for news and to check what friends (or people I met once :lol: ) are up to.

• 5057 posts
  • from Canada eh?
Amanda_Louise wrote:
If you feel like you have too much disposable time on your hands, and want to fill it looking at pictures of peoples' kids, food, and pets, or hear constant discourses about how annoyed they are at trivial things, it's perfect :lol:

:rofl:

I can't lend any insight I've been refusing all social media sites and even cell phones for years. Although the cell phone wall is weakening, I even googled data plans...hell must be freezing over. :lol:

brandtpeters wrote:
for the record Yerflap -- if someone is going to be hard as steel about opinions it's you -- I can count on it like I can count on a brain freeze after downing a slurpee to fast...

• 172 posts
  • from Reading PA
I was against FB for the longest time. Honestly I love it now. It allows me to reach more people then forums, and I get to talk with family and friends I may not see a lot. I think for those reasons its great, but it does have its downsides.

• 811 posts
  • from Southern California
I use Facebook mostly for family but it is blending with toy folk. It's ok. I am a Twitter whore and I love it. Pretty straight forward and a lot of toy and art people.

• 1194 posts
  • from Huntsville, Alabama
I use facebook to keep up with friends, especially those that live far away. It's just so much easier and more immediate. I had a couple of really good friends that I'd almost lost touch with, but now we communicate as much as if we lived right next door.

I use twitter to keep up with literary agents that I'd like to query as soon as my manuscript is done.

with almost any social media, if you're not paying to use it, you are the product being sold, not the customer.

having said that, i do have a facebook account and twitter account.

FB is mainly for organising social events with friends, and twitter is to follow artists/bands/'celebs' and get the inside word on new releases etc

The Sideshow
Posted in: Off Topic

Topic tools: ← Previous topicNext topic →

remember me?

Time : 1.622s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off