Things to do in Albuquerque

1, 2, 3, 4, 5  

The Sideshow
Posted in: Ask the Circus

• 322 posts
  • from Newmarket, UK
I love the Very Large Array - it's about 1 1/2 hour drive south of Albuquerque, but it is awesome! Stunning to see in person...

Linky: http://www.vla.nrao.edu/genpub/tours/

If anyone is interested in military aircraft, I can swing a tour of the hangars at Kirtland AFB - my husband is a flight engineer on the CV-22 Ospreys & they're pretty cool to poke around...

Like Shing said, Flying Star is great food... A bit further down the road is The Frontier, which is an Albuquerque institution and makes great greasy food & has a tortilla-making machine, so you get a FRESH delish tortilla made to order :)

The Petroglyphs are cool to check out, too... Hmmmm, I'll wrack my brain to see what else I can come up with :)

If you like Vegan food, I ate at some badass places!!
Of Course I have no idea aboot their names but the CP staff will.

Oh and there is a great antique shop you need to check out!

That weapon will replace your tongue. You will learn to speak through it. And your poetry will now be written with blood.

halfapparition wrote:

Annapurna's is vegetarian and vegan; lots of great gluten free stuff too
Mint Tulip is great vegan
A new vegan Thai place just opened across the street but havn't ad a chance to check it out yet; but there is another Vegan Thai down the street that's amazing...

there is a vegan Mexican food bus that I see on occasion in Nob Hill, but I never see when we're actually hungry...

Most restaurants here have pretty good vegetarian options as well.

• 1050 posts
  • from Los Angeles
Valency wrote:

If anyone is interested in military aircraft, I can swing a tour of the hangars at Kirtland AFB - my husband is a flight engineer on the CV-22 Ospreys & they're pretty cool to poke around...

You're gonna have my husband following yours around like a puppy next time...

• 3075 posts
  • from Portland, OR
Miskat wrote:
halfapparition wrote:

A new vegan Thai place just opened across the street but havn't ad a chance to check it out yet; but there is another Vegan Thai down the street that's amazing...

there is a vegan Mexican food bus that I see on occasion in Nob Hill, but I never see when we're actually hungry...

After almost 20 years here, I'm getting tired of Portland and all the rain. New Mexico seems like a great place to uproot to. How to decide between Santa Fe and Albuquerque is one of my biggest questions. Besides that, what's the job market like there, and what's the deal with the water police? I'd like to have more gardening choices than the color of gravel to cover my yard with.

leroidecoeur wrote:
Miskat wrote:
halfapparition wrote:

After almost 20 years here, I'm getting tired of Portland and all the rain. New Mexico seems like a great place to uproot to. How to decide between Santa Fe and Albuquerque is one of my biggest questions. Besides that, what's the job market like there, and what's the deal with the water police? I'd like to have more gardening choices than the color of gravel to cover my yard with.

I think the job market depends on what you do-- we've never looked for jobs here, but based on how strong the housing market is (compared to FL which is all I have to compare it to) I think the economy here is doing much better than most states.
I think of Santa Fe as a beautiful old dying horse-- it's super expensive so you don't have any driving force pushing it to grow like you do in ABQ.
A good portion of people have xeriscaping, but you seen a ton of green lawns out here-- it doesn't rain a lot, so even with restrictive watering it's not too bad to grow what you want. We're up in the mountains, so we've never had any problems due to the snowfall.

• 3075 posts
  • from Portland, OR
Miskat wrote:
leroidecoeur wrote:
Miskat wrote:
halfapparition wrote:

I think the job market depends on what you do-- we've never looked for jobs here, but based on how strong the housing market is (compared to FL which is all I have to compare it to) I think the economy here is doing much better than most states.
I think of Santa Fe as a beautiful old dying horse-- it's super expensive so you don't have any driving force pushing it to grow like you do in ABQ.
A good portion of people have xeriscaping, but you seen a ton of green lawns out here-- it doesn't rain a lot, so even with restrictive watering it's not too bad to grow what you want. We're up in the mountains, so we've never had any problems due to the snowfall.
Thanks for your insight Kathie. Much appreciated. My last kid is a junior in college and there's nothing tying me to Oregon anymore. Life is about adventure, and there's never anytime like the present... BTW, I'm a construction project manager/estimator, primarily commercial (retail, offices, multi-family, hospitality, remodels, tenant improvements, etc...)

• 322 posts
  • from Newmarket, UK
leroidecoeur wrote:

We don't have the water restrictions in Rio Rancho that they have in Albuquerque - RR is a suburb of ABQ and it is much more low speed. (Takes me 25-30 minutes to drive to Stranger Factory, and it takes about 35-40 minutes to drive to Santa Fe. It's a nice in-between).

(I agree with Kathie about Santa Fe - it's pretty bleh. I used to only go there to go to Trader Joe's, but now we have 2 in Albuquerque, so I only really pass through on occasion now).

I have a good friend who lives about a mile away and she cultivates an amazing vegetable garden - as long as you have a bit of a green thumb and are vigilant about watering, you can grow around here...

The Air Force Base and Intel are the biggest support of the economy, but our movie industry is doing very well too... Housing market has rebounded well (our bubble never got too big) and there does seem to be new construction...

Been talking to my wife about maybe making the Brandt Peters show and then booking it to Las Vegas right after

Nice thing would be CA is even closer after the drive

Really wanted to go to this one...too bad. It's just really complicated for us right now.

• 2486 posts
  • from San Francisco
Valency wrote:
I love the Very Large Array - it's about 1 1/2 hour drive south of Albuquerque, but it is awesome! Stunning to see in person...

)

Yes yes Yes please...

• 2486 posts
  • from San Francisco
Valency wrote:

)

Yes yes Yes please...

leroidecoeur wrote:
Miskat wrote:
halfapparition wrote:

I have only visited NM on vacation (and only passed through ABQ), but my one major observation about Santa Fe is that the place just seems to shut down after like 7-8 pm. We were hard pressed to find anything to do at night. Not even a hole-in-the-wall bar to hang out and make us feel like we weren't spending our evenings watching TV in the hotel. I also get the impression that Santa Fe is not really a place where people actually work. It's either tourist industry or you're rich and retired.

Hope's Mother wrote:
I'm glad you found stuff that you love, but I guess this stuff doesn't appeal to me. I don't get it, but I appreciate that you have your own unique taste.

• 24 posts
  • from Santa Fe, NM
hopeewon wrote:
I have only visited NM on vacation (and only passed through ABQ), but my one major observation about Santa Fe is that the place just seems to shut down after like 7-8 pm. We were hard pressed to find anything to do at night. Not even a hole-in-the-wall bar to hang out and make us feel like we weren't spending our evenings watching TV in the hotel. I also get the impression that Santa Fe is not really a place where people actually work. It's either tourist industry or you're rich and retired.

Santa Fe is slowly getting taken back from retirees from California by a youthful art scene. Organizations like Meow Wolf, After Hours Alliance, High Mayhem, The Process have really made huge steps in getting non-high brow art out to the public and creating a semblance of night life. I live in Santa Fe and really love it. It's physically beautiful, especially the mountains. The food is unbeatable. Yes, it's more expensive than Albuquerque, but after living in San Francisco for a few years, it feels like small change. In terms of jobs, especially ones in the art industry, it's just like everywhere else where it's all about who you know. Or if you're a Urologist. For some reason, there are always job postings for urologists, I guess no one wants to do that in the high desert.

Rust This World wrote:
...Or if you're a Urologist. For some reason, there are always job postings for urologists, I guess no one wants to do that in the high desert.

I think it is more about the large number of older men who forget to drink enough water in the dry climate.

Btw, one more great great restaurant her in ABQ is Cosmos-- right down the street from us; they serve up a large menu of amazing tapas!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5  

The Sideshow
Posted in: Ask the Circus

Topic tools: ← Previous topicNext topic →

remember me?

Time : 0.058s | 15 Queries | GZIP : Off